Finding out you have a food allergy can be devastating.

Finding out you have a food allergy can be devastating. I think my first thought was, "What does that mean?" You ask your doctor and he says just avoid that food. It's just a skin test. They aren't entirely accurate.

I am going to attempt to give you ideas and recipes on how to avoid corn. It can be quite the challenge.

Sorry that my blog is evolving into a little bit of everything in life.



Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Garden 2012

Last year I started my garden around the middle of February.  This year I am starting on January 31.  It has been so warm that I decided to go for it!  I tilled 6 bags of manure into an approx. 10 x 5 foot section.  I put in peas, carrots, lettuce, and beets.

2 comments:

Erica Kassner said...

What do you do about the hard frost? Do you just cover the garden?

Michelle Smith said...

Peas are suppose to be planted in February in my area of TN. The others carrots, beets, and lettuce can be planted in March. Our last freeze is April 15th. I won't cover anything unless its scheduled to be below 25. I would only cover the lettuce only because I found this fall that the frost made
the lettuce bitter. I willing to take my chances on the other crops. I can always put in more seed. It's cheap! I'm new to this area so everything is an experiment. My kale and Swiss chard are still in from last year. I froze and dried enough for me, so I've been feeding it to my chickens. I also have about 5 large turnips that lasted this warm winter. I am expecting the Swiss chard should give me a few leaves before it goes to seed when it warms up. The kale will also go to seed when the weather warms up. It does that if it's been froze.

Popular Posts