Finding out you have a food allergy can be devastating.

Finding out you have a food allergy can be devastating. I think my first thought was, "What does that mean?" You ask your doctor and he says just avoid that food. It's just a skin test. They aren't entirely accurate.

I am going to attempt to give you ideas and recipes on how to avoid corn. It can be quite the challenge.

Sorry that my blog is evolving into a little bit of everything in life.



Friday, December 30, 2011

Canning Turkey Broth w/ Tattler lids

First roast your chicken bones 350 for 30+ minutes until brown.  Then cooked turkey bones covered in water for over 12 hours on low in crockpot.  If you don't have a crockpot you can cook for several hours on low on the stove covered with water.  You may need to add more water if it evaporates.

Drained reserving broth and removed bones and fat and yuck from meat, refrigerated overnight, because I wasn't ready to can.
Today I reheated the broth and three in the rest of the left over turkey.
Added hot water to jars and remembered I had bought some Tattler lids at the coop a couple months ago.
Scalded the lids and rings. Emptied the hot water out of the jars, and filled with broth within an inch front the top. Added the Tattler rubber and lid. You must tighten and then back off 1/4 inch. Then after processing, which is 20 minutes 10 pounds pressure for pints in my area, tight lids as you take them out of the canner.
My canner came with 1 15 pound weight. You have to keep adjusting.the stove to keep the gauge at the desired weight. The middle of this summer I bought the weight set where you can break down the weight by 6, 10, and 15 pounds. You can see in the picture below I have the 10 pound weight. You adjust the stove down when the weight gently rocks. I don't have to stare at it the whole time afraid it will build to much pressure and blow up. I like having the gauge as well so I know the pressure has built up adequitely.

No comments:

Popular Posts