Finding out you have a food allergy can be devastating.

Finding out you have a food allergy can be devastating. I think my first thought was, "What does that mean?" You ask your doctor and he says just avoid that food. It's just a skin test. They aren't entirely accurate.

I am going to attempt to give you ideas and recipes on how to avoid corn. It can be quite the challenge.

Sorry that my blog is evolving into a little bit of everything in life.



Thursday, June 30, 2011

Coffee gone bad!

The coffee I have been drinking for a few months started bothering me a couple weeks ago.  It’s giving me brain fog.  If you have allergies you'll know what that’s like.  I hadn't research what coffee I could have yet, so I drank a little bit of tea I had gotten at the coop.  That gave me brain fog too.  Ugh!  I have a bushel of beets I pulled the day before on my kitchen table.  I had separated the tops from the bottoms, and left them in my large porcelain pans.  I didn't wash them, so I didn't have to worry about them molding like the greens that I had to throw away the week before, because I had cleaned them and left them sitting too long.  I also picked a bunch of kale that I needed to process some how.  Meanwhile the post office was just delivering my new Nesco Professional Dehydrator.  I thought perhaps I would try to make kale chips.
 
It was suggested to try Chock Full of Nuts.  I called the company.  They said all they use is water after roasting.  She said there was nothing in the documentation about anything else used.  There website also had a page where I can found a store that carried their brand Store Locator.  While walking through the store picking up other items my husband wanted for lunch I started smelling popcorn, and of course more brain fog.  I hurried and got out with my new coffee, and I also picked up some Stash tea to try. 

Well wouldn’t you know it a few miles down the street I remembered that I was exchanging the vinegar I was just charged for.  I had brought back the gallon I had bought the week before that had expired May 2011.  They said I could exchange it just remember to tell the cashier.  Brain fog I forgot to tell the cashier.  I checked the receipt and it was over $5.  I new I had to go back.  Money is tight around here since I have to buy all this expensive no name food.  I went back, and walked in and instantly saw a manager at the first check stand.  Explained what happened, and pointed to the gallon jug still sitting on the front counter.  Luckily I got my money back and the popcorn didn’t give me any further problems that I didn’t already have.  I went home brewed some weak coffee had a cup and a half, and it seemed to be ok. 

I was able to get my kale chips made in my new dehydrator.  I boiled my beets, and made the kale chips.  I had too many for the dehydrator, so I made the rest in the oven.  After they cooled they got chewy.  The ones in the dehydrator turned out really good, not to crispy and not too chewy.  I think I might try putting the ones from the oven in the dehydrator to see if it will remove the chewy.  I also blanched and froze 2 pounds of beet greens, and then canned the 6 pounds beets into 5 quarts of spicy pickled beets.  Yum!  I have to add that after canning for over 20 years I finally bought a scale.  It’s wonderful!  I weighed my beets.  The recipe called for 4 pounds; since I had 6 pounds I doubled the recipe 1 1/2.  It came out perfect!  In years past I would guess, and make extra liquid that was a waste or not enough, so I would have to add more after I got my vegetables in.  I recommend getting a scale if you are going to do any pickling or jam making.

The Chock Full of Nuts didn't work either.  I am now drinking Stash Organic Breakfast Tea Blend.  I think its giving me a reaction too so I only drink 1 cup at a time.  At least it gives me some pickup for now until I try another coffee.

No comments:

Popular Posts