Finding out you have a food allergy can be devastating.

Finding out you have a food allergy can be devastating. I think my first thought was, "What does that mean?" You ask your doctor and he says just avoid that food. It's just a skin test. They aren't entirely accurate.

I am going to attempt to give you ideas and recipes on how to avoid corn. It can be quite the challenge.

Sorry that my blog is evolving into a little bit of everything in life.



Sunday, May 15, 2011

Food from the garden!

The garden survived the frost and is flourishing!  I picked a canner full of spinach.  It blanched down to like 4 cups.  Not as much as it seemed, but I now have it in the freezer to help me get through the winter. 

I am eating lettuce, and spinach with every meal.  My breakfast salad has cottage cheese, and sliced eggs.  For lunch and dinner I add some cold quinoa or millet, plus cheese, raisins, and maybe some sliced chicken hot dogs.  My dressing is diluted apple cider vinegar, and honey.  I started drinking my cold Sam's choice organic coffee with beet sugar on ice.  It gives me a little boost to go back out and work in the garden some more.  :-)

I have been canning pint jars of pinto beans.  I eat the pinto beans on millet or quinoa with sour cream, chopped onion and shredded cheese with some beef hot dogs.  I have also put this on a bed of chopped lettuce. 

I started picking radishes and turnips this last week.  I have been getting small heads of broccoli for a few weeks.  My beets have a few weeks yet.  The green beans are a couple inches tall.  The brussel sprouts are a couple feet tall.  The potatoes are blooming.  Never grew potatoes before.  I read that you should water them more when they are blooming.  I don't remember what it said about when they will be ready.  The peas are blooming and developing pods.  Tomatoes are blooming.  The nasturtiums and marigolds are growing.  I can't wait until they flower.  The 5 cabbages are getting bigger.  1 has a huge head.  Never grew cabbage.  I read that when the head is firm it will be ready.  Hope I figure out when that is before it bolts.  The onions are about the size of a quarter.  The cucumbers, zucchini, watermelon, cantaloupe should flower in the next couple of weeks.  The yellow squash is just coming up.  Carrots were just planted with more spinach and beets.  There are beets, spinach, turnips and radishes growing in all stages of age so I will be able to continue to harvest them through the summer.  I am planning on putting in more broccoli, and brussel sprouts in the middle of July to harvest in October.  I have to start seeds June 1st, so I can plant them in the garden in July.  I am also planning for winter squash and sweet potatoes for fall harvesting too.

1 comment:

River Glorious said...

I'd like some squash, but those pesky iguanas keep eating the baby plants. At wit's end on what to do. Maybe I will need to make an enclosed garden.

Popular Posts